1. Our program
Centacare is a not for profit organisation and is the official community service agency of the Catholic Archdiocese of Adelaide. Centacare Catholic Family Services deliver responsive and flexible services to the South Australian community.
Centacare is funded by DECD to provide Specialist Family Preservation Foster Care for children 0-12 who are unable to be placed in kinship care whilst reunification with their birth family is assessed. Children within this program are generally placed on ‘short term’ orders by the court. The court may grant orders between 6-18mths which determine the length of placement but placements will not exceed 18mths.
2. Our support
- Regular support from a Foster Carer Support Worker, at least weekly in first two months, then every two weeks.
- Access to 24 hour telephone support 7 days a week.
- Regular support meetings with other carers.
- Respite care will be agreed and provided as part of a placement agreement. This will be specific to the needs of the child.
- Support from a Foster Carer Support Worker to complete daily and monthly logs.
- A unique fostering allowance linked to reunification.
- Access to reading and training materials.
- Carers will be supported in their role as part of the care team to contribute to case planning.
- Access to experienced professional expertise such as psychologists.
- Centacare will support you to maintain your registration as a carer by:
- Conducting carer consultation sessions
- Conducting yearly carer reviews
- Ensuring you are up to date with training and mandatory checks e.g. police checks are updated every 3 years
- Facilitating placements
Some carers may seek to transfer from an existing provider or seek to return to fostering.
As a specialist foster care program we are required to complete a full competency and psycho-social assessment, focussed around specific issues of reunification.
3. Short-term Care
Reunification placements are generally for a period of 6-18 months and are considered to be ‘short-term’ care placements. It is envisaged that after this period of time the child will return to the care of the birth family or will move on to live with long term carers.
4. Parenting Payments
Reunification Carers receive an allowance specific to the Specialist Family Preservation Foster Care Program in order to cover most of the additional costs of caring for a foster child. It is a requirement of the reunification program that the main carer is not in employment or engaged in full-time study. The allowance paid to reunification carers is significantly higher than the general foster carer allowance to reflect this and also to reflect the skilled nature of the specialist foster carer role.
As the main carer in this program needs to be home based the allowance also includes an element for the care you provide. The current allowance is approx. $892 per week. The fostering allowance is not deemed to be a wage and therefore does not affect any other benefits that you may be entitled to.
Depending on your own personal circumstances you may still be able to access some Centrelink based payments. Centacare does not provide individual advice on Centrelink payments but can provide a contact person to support you with this. This allowance is only paid whilst a child is in placement.
If you provide respite care overnight, a daily allowance is paid in line with amounts set by Families SA. This is currently $44.20 0-5 years $49.10 6-12 years (current at date of print).